Zucchini chocolate chip cake, lightly sweetened with brown sugar, unsweetened applesauce, and sugar free vanilla pudding mix. Moist, flavorful, cinnamony!
Blessings in the form of zucchini have been heaped upon our family garden again this summer. You think I would learn to only plant a few zucchini seeds each year for our family of four, but no…
So, I started shredding and freezing the green monsters in one cup servings so I can bake all kinds of delicious treats when the season is over… Smart, right?
Nothing like paying a fortune during our Ohio winters for a small zucchini that was grown in some southwestern locale where it’s never winter…
When I was gathering in our garden last week, I glimpsed an enormous zucchini… You know the one that slips under the radar for weeks and then is almost as large as a baseball bat?
Well, I knew that that zucchini wouldn’t be the greatest for grilling or zoodling, so I decided I’d be baking with it. It doesn’t take much for me to have an excuse to create something sweet for my family:)
I pulled out my favorite coffee cake recipe and adapted it slightly to include the zucchini and it was a hit! Most of the oil has been replaced with unsweetened applesauce and I sweetened the actual cake with a minimal amount of brown sugar and a sugar free vanilla pudding mix.
The brown sugar and cinnamon topping couldn’t be simpler, and I added a slight 1/3 c of mini chocolate chips sprinkled on top because everything is better with chocolate. I love the mini chips because you get more chocolatey flavor per bite! You could leave them off, but why??
One note of caution: if your zucchini has large seeds, please remove them before shredding the zucchini because no one wants to bite down on a seed that’s been embedded in this deliciously moist cake!
If you are one of my local friends, let me know if you want some zucchini; I deliver for free!
If Pinterest isn’t your thing, connect with me through whatever social media you engage in… It would make my day!
Follow me on:
Or you could sign up for my free newsletter and I’ll send an email right to your inbox the night I post a new recipe!
- 2 Tablespoons oil(I used olive oil)
- ¾ cup(150g) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup(122g) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 package(4 serving size) sugar free vanilla pudding mix
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup water
- 1¼ cups(150g) all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup(150g) shredded zucchini(large seeds removed)
- ½ cup(100g) packed brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup(75g) mini chocolate chips(sprinkle on top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a round cake pan, springform pan, or 8x8 square pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Mix the oil, ¾ cup brown sugar, and unsweetened applesauce together until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix thoroughly, then stir in the pudding mix(do not make the pudding, just add the dry mix) and the water.
- Combine the flour, salt, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and baking powder in a small bowl and add slowly to the wet ingredients, mixing until just moistened. Add the shredded zucchini and stir gently until it's incorporated. Pour batter in prepared pan.
- Mix ½ cup brown sugar and 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon and pour on top of cake batter. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top.
- Bake in preheated oven until knife inserted in center comes out clean, about 33-35 minutes. Let cool before cutting and serving.